Sunday, January 17, 2016

Day 1, Moving in

Monday, January 11, 2016:  I was assigned to room M423, which is on the fourth floor of the Madison dorm.  I decided to go up the elevator and check out the room before gathering all my stuff from the truck.  I figured I better see how much room I'd have before hauling everything in.

The hall was full of activity as I got of the elevator and walked toward my room.  The door to 423 was open so I walked in and placed my bag on the bed in the corner.  The room reminded my of my dorm in the Air Force:  two beds, two desks, two chairs, and one closet.  I was quickly greeted by a guy who I'd learn was my roommate.  We introduced ourselves followed by him saying my bag was on his bed!  First come, first serve!

My room mate is Eric Smith and goes by 'Harry.'  Harry is from the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Portland, Oregon.  He is a Lieutenant in the Professional Standards Unit of his department.  Harry arrived on Sunday, so he was already getting settled in and had a lot of information about dorm life at the NA.

                                                    My room mate Lt. Eric "Harry" Smith

I suggested we rearrange the furniture in order to make the most of the 400 square feet we were sharing.  My 'OCD' took over and Harry was willing to go along with the idea.  So, we spent 45 minutes moving furniture around.  I have to admit, it turned out awesome and gave us a chance to get to know each other in the process.  I spent the next two hours hauling in all of the gear I brought with me.  After everything was unpacked and arranged, I was very happy with my new digs.  I was also happy to see that the refrigerator left for me by Omaha Police Lt. Ken Kanger, was right where he left it following his NA session - in the fourth floor storage closet with my name on it.  Thank you Ken!

                                                    My desk and bed

                                                    Our room

                                                    Refrigerator from Omaha Lt. Ken Kanger

All FBINA students place business cards, patches or pins on their doors so their neighbors know who they are and how to contact them.

                                                    Outside our dorm room

After moving in, several of us went to the cafeteria for lunch before our first scheduled event (I'll talk more about the awesome cafeteria later).  We were instructed to meet in our homeroom at 6 p.m., in uniform, for orientation.
 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment